18. Prospective A+

If +Positive House had a way of honoring specific programs for comprehensive inclusiveness, The Black Coalition on AIDS's peer-designed "Living Now" Program for positive people of all genders, sexual orientations, ethnicities, and histories would be top of the prospect A+ list. The program includes guest speakers who address different issues about living with this virus. [We will begin evaluation of its ten-week course Wednesday, September 26th.]

"Living Now"
10 Wednesdays, 1:00-3:00, beginning Sept. 26
Black Coalition on AIDS
2800 3rd Street @ 24th
Contact: Alfred, (415) 615-9945

Just Discovered: The Black Coalition on AIDS also offers (to all positive people) a + human relationships program. This is a seven-week weekly series beginning at 10:30 Tuesday, October 3. The structured course begins with subjects of relationships of positive people with their friends and family members and ends with subjects of positve sexual and romantic relationships.

Contact: Ben Hayes or Melinda, (415) 615-9945

Two prospective A+'s from this house to BCA.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I attended the first session of "Living Now" on September 26. I am impressed and encouraged so far. I'm not going to say too much about the attendees except that I was pleased and relieved by the diversity. There were twelve people including the facillitator--mostly African American, mostly gay men (a couple if-y), one other woman, two transgenders, one black, one white.

While it is important to me personally to feel included in a non-gender-segregated positive community, I also wish that the option could exist somewhere more neutral. I'm very concerned about infringing on the only environment here reserved for African American positive people. I'm glad, but I'm not quite sure why the rest of us are welcome in this group.

I will not discuss personal issues, but I will include record of session topics here as they happen.

I asked Alfred, the facillitator, about the other program there that I was referred to (the group on different kinds of relationship issues impacted by HIV--which is what I'm really looking for). I told Alfred I wanted to go to that one as long as I wasn't the only woman, but Alfred said, "I think you're good with this."

the caretaker said...

Second Wednesday session of "Living Now": Well-informed, helpful HIV/AIDS sevice representative was available to answer questions regarding any HIV/AIDS care services. Almost all questions concerned housing--San Francisco conflict between the access to cutting-edge medical care, and the near impossibility of housing options for many in-need, low-income, positive people. Disheartening (to say the least) but informative and supportive meeting.

Talked to counselor at AIDS Health Project Thurday (today) about worry about infringing at Black Coalition on AIDS as a white woman. He was encouraging that it was OK and also let me know about an all-positive-inclusive writing group at AHP (that has been held before but is not advertised in its newsletter). (He said it's not exactly a wrting group; it's a support group that uses writing.) I told him I would definitely be interested. Things are looking up. But why the secrecy? Just knowing inclusive options exist at all is healing. Put it in the newsletter. Are you afraid the inclusive group options would scare men away from the men-for-men-only options? I don't get it.

the caretaker said...

At my intake on Friday , I asked why the Black Coalition on AIDS is so inclusive, and was tolf that BCA was created to meet the needs of African Americans with HIV or AIDS whose needs were not being addressed. Once BCA was established they did not believe it was right to exclude someone based on sexual orientation, gender, or color. Many programs there are specific to and for African Americans needs only. But "Living Now" (which is primarily about treatment adherence), the +human relationships series (described in the post), and some drop-in groups are for anyone with HIV or AIDS who needs them.